6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
A series of mathematical topics chosen from a range of areas of pure and applied mathematics and mathematical statistics, including dynamics, chaos, computing algorithm design, mathematical modelling, number theory, logic, algebra, operation research and applied linear algebra. For example, applied linear algebra topics may include several important applications of eigenanalysis, including image compression, face recognition and understanding how Google's Page Rank search algorithm works.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Appreciate a variety of novel applications of mathematics;
- Demonstrate skills in independent investigation of a mathematical problem;
- Undertake a critical evaluation of some aspect of the mathematics literature;
- Demonstrate communication skills, including by presenting an oral report on their work;
- Use technical word processing packages, such as LaTeX, and graphics software packages.
Three 1-hour lectures and one 2-hour tutorial / computer laboratory per week
See also Unit timetable information