6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Thermal conductivity, heat transfer film coefficients. Non-steady state conduction; lumped systems. Convection and radiation. Interstitial diffusion, substitutional diffusion, steady-state diffusion (Fick's first law), nonsteady-state diffusion (Fick's second law), solution of diffusion problems (homogenisation and carburization), atomic mobility, high-diffusivity paths. Casting, forging, hot rolling, injection moulding. Nucleation and growth: homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation, solid/liquid interface, growth of solid in liquid, growth of solid in solid. Solidification: coring; cells and dendrites; eutectics; segregation in ingots. Kinetics of phase transformations: TTT and CCT diagrams Evolution of microstructure/nanostructure: thermomechanical processing of steels and Al/Mg alloys; hardenability, quenching and tempering of steels, alloying elements.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe nucleation and growth of new phases in liquid and solid.
- Describe mechanisms of diffusion and application of it in heat treatment.
- Describe the evolution of microstructure during solidification of metals and alloys under both equilibrium and non-equilibrium conditions and the ability to interpret solidification microstructures in common alloy systems and relate them to the material properties.
- Identify the basis for the design of engineering alloys and their microstructures.
- Describe the thermo-mechanical treatment of engineering alloys with particular reference to steels.
- Describe the effects of processing parameters on structure and properties of steels during their heat treatment and the ability to design simple processing schedules for common commercial steels.
Laboratory work: 20%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
3 hours lecture/tutorial classes, 7.5 hours of private study per week and 18 hours laboratory classes per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
MSC2122, MTE2502, MTE2503, MTE2504, MTE3502