0 points, SCA Band 2, 0.000 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
DAY mode: A
DE mode: Dr Monira Hussein
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Off-campus)
- Second semester 2017 (Off-campus)
To be taken concurrently with MPH6041 together they are prerequisites for clinical epidemiology elective units. Contents: rates, sources of data, descriptive & analytical epidemiology, epidemiological study designs, critical appraisal of literature, screening, prevention, exposure assessment, outbreak investigation, confounding & bias.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain and contextualise the purposes of descriptive and analytical epidemiology;
- explain and contextualise the concepts of study questions, population, sampling, exposure assessment, bias and confounding;
- analyse the strengths and weaknesses of different epidemiological study designs;
- critically analyse epidemiological papers from the medical research and OHS literature;
- evaluate the adequacy of exposure assessment in epidemiological studies;
- interpret and communicate the results of epidemiological studies; and
- solve complex problems relating to the use of epidemiological concepts and study designs.
Examination (MCQ/SAQ) (2.5 hours) (45%)
Written assignment (15%)
Test (MCQ) (45 minutes) (25%)
Written task (500 words) (5%)
Online quiz (SAQ) (1 hour) (5%)
2 contact hours per week for on-campus students.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
2 day compulsory on-campus block for off-campus students.