6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- Term 2 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit is designed as a contemporary analysis of drug use in modern societies and will enhance participants' knowledge about the risk and vulnerability of individuals and communities to licit and illicit drug use.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Outline the sources, characteristics, routes of administration and effects of key drugs;
- Analyse patterns of drug use in Australia, across the Asia-Pacific region, and worldwide;
- Understand the specific health outcomes associated with the use of the most important licit and illicit drugs, including implications for the development of community-based responses;
- Explain how use of licit and illicit drugs is linked to poverty, criminality and other social problems;
- Critique the policies and practical responses to drug use implemented in differed countries;
- Explain the interactions between illicit drug use and blood-borne viruses (BBV);
- Examine the social and policy contexts of harm reduction practice employed in Australia and Asia;
- Critique the various responses to HIV and other BBV's among drug users concurrently in operation;
- Reflective on practice and communicate effectively.
- Formative feedback on small group work and reflective practice and presentation skills
- Letter to editor or critique of a peer reviewed article (30%)
- Abstract (400 words) (10%)
- Written essay (3,600 words) (60%) (hurdle)
Please note: The teaching dates for this unit vary from the standard teaching datesstandard teaching dates (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census) for this teaching period.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information