6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- Term 4 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
Overview of communications and training skills needed for community health work in developing countries. Training strategies for community health work including adult learning principles, theory and application, design and program establishment options, facilitation skills and Participatory methods. Communication strategies for health promotion. Communication skills for effective health management, report writing and cross-cultural communication. Practical approach to design and implementation of training programs and health promotion strategies.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Training strategies for community health work:
- gain knowledge of the principles, theory and application of adult learning in relation to participatory training of health workers in developing countries, competency based training, distance learning, training of trainer methods;
- develop skills in the design and establishment of training programs; and
- increase knowledge and gain skills in a range of participatory training methods and facilitation methods.
- Communication strategies for health promotion:
- gain knowledge of principles, theory and application of communication strategies for health promotion;
- develop skills in the design and establishment of communication strategies for health promotion; and
- increase knowledge and gain skills in a range of participatory methods for development and delivery of communication strategies for health promotion.
- Communication skills for effective health program management;
- further develop skills in report writing and presenting; and
- further develop skills in cross-cultural communication.
- Assignment (75%) (hurdle)
- Group presentation (25%)
6 day intensive block.
Please note: The teaching dates for this unit vary from the standard teaching datesstandard teaching dates (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census) for this teaching period.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Basic computer proficiency.