6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Review of legal management principles related to health care by examining common law principles and statutes. Examination of the Australian legal system, including the Coroner's court, with an emphasis on Victorian and Commonwealth cases and statutes. Focus on key areas of medical and health law such as negligence consent, privacy of health information, clinical research, abortion, euthanasia, mental health, infectious diseases, health complaints and law for health facilities such as hospitals.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Analyse critically, reflect on and synthesise the sources of law relevant to the management health care organisations.
- Research and apply legal principles to handling complex clinical situations.
- Interpret and synthesise the applicability of legal reviews and reports to health care management practice.
- Interpret and transmit knowledge and complex health law principles to health care managers and non-specialist audiences.
- 6 x written reflections on health law issues and applications (500 words each) (8.33% each)
- Written assignment - Communication to health care staff (1,500 words) (20%)
- Written assignment - application (2,000 words) (30%)
15 contact hours over 2 block days.
See also Unit timetable information