6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- Term 3 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit aims to develop students' competence in the basic research tools used to plan and manage health programs at community, district and national level in low- and middle-income countries. Students will be exposed to needs assessments, planning and evaluation, health information collection, and operational research in a global health context. In addition, the unit is intended to provide students with a deeper appreciation of some of the practical considerations involved in conducting field research in low- and middle-income countries.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Recognise when and why it is useful to collect and use information for program management.
- Identify the types of questions that quantitative and quantitative information help to answer, and devise strategies for collecting this information in a low- and middle income country (LMIC) setting.
- Recognise how results-based planning can inform effective program design, monitoring and evaluation in a LMIC setting.
- Anticipate common challenges encountered in designing and implementing field research in LMIC settings and devise practical solutions for managing these challenges.
- Apply concepts from the unit to make choices about program design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Logframe matrix (25%)
- Written critique (1,500 words) (15%)
- Research proposal (2,500 - 3,000 words) (60%) (Hurdle)
5 day intensive block.
Please note: The teaching dates for this unit vary from the standard teaching datesstandard teaching dates (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census) for this teaching period.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information