6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- Term 3 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This subject will provide an overview of the history, principles and practice of primary health care in developing countries, as well as the interaction between primary healthcare and current trends in global health and international development.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the core principles and elements of successful primary health care in resource-constrained settings, and use these principles as an analytic tool in planning and evaluating responses to current global health issues;
- Develop systems-oriented strategies for improving primary health care using at least two frameworks for understanding health systems in resource-constrained settings;
- Describe the importance, variety and roles of community health workers and their appropriate deployment as a response to resource-constraints in health care delivery;
- Explain and analyse the role of global agencies; aid and development modalities and other international health interventions in the planning, delivery and evaluation of primary health care services in resource-constrained settings;
- Summarise and critique options for resourcing primary health care, including two or more financing models appropriate to resource-constrained settings;
- Describethe role of community knowledge, attitudes and practices and health care seeking behaviours in primary health care, and how these factors can be assessed and incorporated into programs
- Essay (3,500-4,000 words) (70%) (Hurdle)
- Group presentation (25 minutes) (10%)
- Individual reflection written assignment (1,000 words) (20%)
5 day intensive block.
Please note: The teaching dates for this unit vary from the standard teaching datesstandard teaching dates (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census) for this teaching period.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Basic computer proficiency.
Students who complete the cross-institutional University of Melbourne subject POPH90137 'Primary Health Care in Jamkhed, India' cannot also claim academic credit from undertaking MPH5248 'Primary Health Care in Global Health', and vice versa.