6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
Confounding and effect modification, logistic regression, conditional logistic regression for matched case-control studies, linear regression, diagnostics to assess model fit, model estimation methods, Poisson regression for rates, Stata statistical software.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- apply regression methods to epidemiological data.
- interpret regression methods in terms of the epidemiological concepts of confounding and effect modification.
- analyse epidemiological data using statistical software on a laptop computer.
- discuss critically the regression methods used in published articles on epidemiological research studies.
- estimate sample size requirements in the context of simple regression modelling.
Four written assignments (10%, 35%, 35%, 20% each)
2 x 2 block days plus average of 9 hours per week comprised of a mix of directed and self-directed learning
See also Unit timetable information