6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit must be taken with MNE4050 Research Project I as a second separate project topic. The decision must be made at the time of choosing the project topic for MNE4050. The aim in choosing MNE4050 and MNE4070 together is to gain knowledge across two differing project areas within mining, as opposed to MNE4050 and MNE4060 which provides depth in one project topic. Students undertake an individual self-guided learning task in the form of a research project. The project topic must be in a significantly different mining area to the topic chosen in MNE4050. Greater depth is expected in the investigation of the topic compared to MNE4050 since the basic research skills have already been developed previously. However, the depth expected is less than that required in the full year single project topic completed as MNE4050 and MNE4070 together. The project may be undertaken within the department or externally within a company. In either case, an academic member of staff will act as the supervisor.
At the conclusion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Design and assemble appropriate resources necessary to support the research investigation (e.g. test apparatus and equipment, computer models, survey forms, data collection methodology)
- Manage a research project to successful completion - achieve objectives within required timeframe with available resources
- Assemble and analyse results of investigation
- Compose relevant conclusions and recommendations against the project objectives
- Present in the form of poster and seminar presentation
- Prepare a document to the standards required for a conference hosted by (AusIMM)
Practical work (proposal poster presentation, conference paper and seminar presentation): 100%
One hour of consultation with supervisor per week and 11 hours per week working on the project.
See also Unit timetable information
MNE4050 Research Project I
MNE4060 Research Project II