6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Fundamental to the resources industry is the supply and maintenance of fixed plant equipment - both on the surface, on elevated platforms and in submerged environments. Understanding infrastructure and equipment requirements is critical for project planning and maintenance. This unit provides an applied overview of equipment and technology used by the resources industry through an understanding of the principles of electricity and power distribution, principles of dewatering, pumps and pumping systems, and the use of compressed air and associated safety hazards.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe fundamental theories underlying electrical circuits, properties of electrical power and pros and cons of AC/DC power to solve distribution problems.
- Identify the principles underlying different types of motors and be able to describe their applications.
- Describe the concept of dewatering and be able to construct a basic dewatering system.
- Identify the role of compressed air and be able to describe how it can be used, including an appreciation of the associated safety hazards.
- Describe engineering concepts associated with the design and installation of fixed plant in submerged installations and elevated platforms and the specific requirements for these applications.
- Describe corrosion mechanisms and protection methods.
Continuous assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve these requirements will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours practice class and 7 hours private study per week
See also Unit timetable information