6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit introduces students to designing interactive systems within multimedia and digital arts studio practices. It builds sequentially upon the skills and knowledge of multimedia authoring by providing a focus upon multimedia production and activity-centered design for a range of digital media applications. Students explore approaches to user interfaces beyond the desktop, develop advanced technical skills with relevant software and hardware, and formulate new responses to participation and experience ideas that are specifically oriented to electronic and digital media.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- skillfully and creatively develop Graphic User Interface(GUI) for a range of digital media applications with increasing confidence and proficiency
- demonstrate knowledge of the history of GUI and be able to analyse different models such as those based on usability issues, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), activity-centred design and experience design
- develop GUI solutions that effectively explore software and hardware in terms of information architecture, usability, sound design, animation in the application of multimedia & digital arts
- explore a range of approaches to GUI design beyond the desktop with an increased understanding of processes, practices, methods and techniques for the production of interactive multimedia systems
- demonstrate increased technical understanding of demands required in the development and production of interactive multimedia systems
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
Exercises: 30% + Project: 60% + Journal: 10%
12 hours per week, comprising: 4 taught hours (1 hr lecture plus 3 hrs tutorial) and 8 independent study hours.
See also Unit timetable information
Must have passed both MMD2303 and MMS2402 or both MMD2302 and FIT2012