6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
This unit integrates concepts from both operations and supply chain management toward strategic goals of more sustainable production systems. By combining recent theory and practical examples, this unit provides students with tools that allow companies to reduce their overall resource use, manage their social and environmental risks at the extended enterprise level and design products and processes toward sustainable resource use. Specific topics include management systems for risk reduction and compliance, sustainable transport and distribution, closed-loop issues, mid-tier value chains, extended enterprise issues (e.g. certification and monitoring of suppliers), supplier development, technology protection and ethics. Topics are addressed from predominantly design and behavioural perspectives.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the environmental and social implications of global production and distribution
- recognise and implement more sustainable design in processes and products
- understand the implications of sustainability for organisational survival and the role that operations plays in facilitating sustainability
- understand the technological and behavioural dimensions of sustainable process and product innovation
- understand the application of these dimensions in local, regional and global supply chains.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information