6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Mr Brad Nash (Evening)
Dr Peter Townsend (Off-campus)
- Second semester 2017 (Off-campus)
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
The unit considers emerging technological, social, economic, political and legal changes having implications for the successful management of people within the Australian context. Topics covered will alter as current issues change. Representative issues include implications of social, technological and demographic changes for HRM; philosophical orientations and ethics in HRM; the role of HRM in the strategy, development, implementation, and use of emerging technologies; alternative delivery models for HRM activities; workplace violence and bullying.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the nature of changes to the organisation of work in Australia
- identify strategies for HR professionals to manage the challenges posed by changes in the organisation of work for both individuals and organisations
- analyse emerging HR issues and associated challenges
- review possible HR responses to current issues
- critically analyse and apply HRM theory and empirical research to current HR issues.
Within semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
MGX5985 or MGX9850 or seek Chief Examiner's approval before undertaking this unit
Students must be enrolled in one of the following courses: 0028, 0105, 0200, 0201, 0319, 1065, 1506, 1679, 1822, 2099, 2642, 2643, 2778, 3801, B6006, B6007, B6009, B6012