24 points, SCA Band 3, 0.500 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Online)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
- Full year 2017 (Online)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Online)
This unit forms a core unit for the MFM (research stream) course and aims to provide students with the following: demonstrate a capacity for critical appraisal of published health literature and and an ability to write a literature review within the Masters thesis; carry out an independent research project in general practice at a level expected of a Masters graduate; demonstrate an understanding of the ethical requirements of the research project; consult appropriate experts in research methods and the subject area of the study; collect, analyse and interpret the research data which can be either qualitative or quantitative; and write up the research project as a minor thesis.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate critical appraisal and organisational skills required of academic general practitioners with respect to research in general practice;
- Carry out independent and collaborative research in general practice at a level expected of a Masters graduate;
- Contribute to a body of knowledge of general practice through its literature and publications and ultimately supervise research projects of a nature comparable to those required of a Masters graduate.
Minor thesis (Pass / Fail)