12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit aims to develop the two most common skills that are required for the communication of medical research proposals and medical research findings. Students will develop their written communication skills by writing a review of the literature review developing a strong justification for their aim and hypothesis. Students will develop their oral communication skills by giving an oral presentation and answering questions on their research proposal, early in the Honours year.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Review and evaluate the clinical and scientific literature relevant to the field of research.
- Synthesise the relevant literature in relation to the research question.
- Refine a research question grounded in the critical review of the literature.
- Devise appropriate research methodology to address the research question.
- Justify the proposed methodology in relation to the research question.
- Communicate the critical arguments in the literature in relation to the research question and the proposed methodology to a wider professional audience.
- Progress report (Hurdle)
- Literature review (<7500 words) (75%) (Hurdle)
- Department oral presentation (25%)
Average weekly workload of 12 hours per week comprised of library searches, reading, preparation of presentations and writing the literature review. The student will interact with and seek feedback from their supervisor about the overall structure of the presentation and written literature review but the student will largely be self-directed.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units may be different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in the Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) degree.