6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Jing Fu (Clayton)
Dr Foo Ji Jinn (Malaysia)
In this unit, together with MEC4401, students undertake a self-guided learning task in the form of a project. It is a full year project of either a major design, theoretical, or experimental investigation. The project may be undertaken either within the department or externally with a company or research organisation. In either case, an academic member of staff will act as the supervisor. While some projects may benefit from group based work it is expected that students will work individually on each project.
On successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Conduct an independent, scientifically based research project under broad direction;
- Develop a research plan based on scientific methodologies and sound research practices taking into account assessment of risk factors;
- Apply sound scientific method and research practices to undertake project work;
- Manage a research project effectively within technical, budgetary, risk and time constraints;
- Undertake an extensive review of relevant scientific literature and critically analyse its relevance to the project work being proposed:
- Utilise data acquisition tools, data analysis and/or other technological tools effectively;
- Justify the validity of their findings by quantifying errors in their technique;
- Communicate their findings to a professional audience;
- Apply techniques of scientific theory to provide logical reasoning and hypothesis testing to justify their results.
Continuous assessment: 100%
Full semester project-based work
See also Unit timetable information