6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Tuncay Alan (Clayton)
Dr Foo Ji Jinn (Malaysia)
Introduction to data acquisition across a range of data types, analogue-digital sampling and signal conditioning. Data acquisition and processing functions using LabView. Current data measurement technologies and equipment, acquisition methodologies used in fluid dynamics, material properties, thermodynamics, control and dynamics. Data analysis methods including error analysis, validation, spectral analysis identification and interpretation of trends. Introduction to research practices, formation and testing of hypotheses as well as experiment design and project management. Communication skills and techniques, preparation of reports and oral presentations. Occupational health and safety.
- Understanding of skills and techniques required for the acquisition of optimised meaningful experimental data
- Knowledge of the important components of experimental design
- Overview of current technologies available for experimentation
- Knowledge of data acquisition methods
- Knowledge of data analysis methods
- Appreciation for the importance and application of occupational health and safety procedures
- Manage and execute short and medium term projects
- Form and evaluate hypotheses
- Communicate results using written and oral formats
- Acquire and optimise experimental data
- Use data analysis techniques to explore and evaluate experimental data, including error analysis
- Use LabView to acquire and analyse experimental data Apply occupational health and safety procedures.
Continuous assessment: 100%
3 hour lectures, 3 hours practice sessions/laboratories (this may alternate with 2 hours lectures and 4 hours practice sessions) and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
Must have passed 96 credit points from engineering or science