12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit further develops the students' design skills within a collaborative environment. Students will engage in projects of growing complexity that have multiple approaches and potential outcomes. The students build upon their prior experience of the design process to discover, define, create and demonstrate their design ability in a interdisciplinary way. They will develop designs to a stage that allows reflective critical analysis. Students will be expected to demonstrate a strong capability to resolve and defend their designs. Students will be encouraged to engage with topics that drawn from the research agenda of the Faculty and Department of Design. This enables the integration of staff research with the educational aspirations of the unit. Students are therefore exposed to an advanced knowledge in particular areas, and areas in which to engage their own growing skill sets.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- contribute to a collaborative design intervention or solution that addresses issues of growing complexity;
- manage and develop collaborative approaches to solving design problems;
- formulate design strategies and specifications for outcomes in a collaborative environment;
- articulate the design production to a sophisticated level of understanding and skill;
- understand and evaluate the efficacy of their own design concepts;
- demonstrate an ability to communicate and defend their design approach, methodologies and solutions;
- devise solutions to design problems that respond to advances in knowledge within the discipline
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
100% mixed mode
8 contact hours and 16 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
Successful completion of Collaborative Design Studio 1, recognition of advanced standing or by permission