6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
The Design Fundamentals Studio is specifically created to enable non-cognate students within the Master of Design to understand and practice the concepts, theories and skills expected of design enquiry and intervention to solve problems. Students undertake a series of exercises concerned with the processes that underpin the composition and assembling of the elements of form, shape and narrative in response to visual, object, spatial and temporal investigation and problem solving. The acquired skills and knowledge will enable the student to approach advanced design challenges with confidence.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- be able to recognise, analyse and apply the elements and principles of design;
- understand the nature of the design process and apply methodical steps in response to design problems;
- understand two and three dimensional spatial relationships in nature, built forms and visual systems;
- understand the multidisciplinary nature of many design activities;
- develop the capability to communicate design outcomes, concepts and solutions by a variety of media;
- appreciate the relationship between design and other disciplines that interface with design, and;
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
100% mixed mode
4 contact hours and 12 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
Enrolment in Master of Design (Coursework)