12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit addresses aspects of women's sexual and reproductive health commonly encountered in the general practice setting. It will consider the particular way that women's sexual and reproductive health issues present in the general practice context, current controversies in women's sexual and reproductive health, current evidence and guidelines pertinent to investigation and management of womens sexual and reproductive health issues and consideration of the women's medical issues in a psychosocial context.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Analyse the psychosocial context of women's lives and apply this analysis to women's sexual and reproductive health
- Develop a systematic and evidence based approach to the diagnosis and management of women's sexual and reproductive health issues which commonly present in the general practice setting
- Evaluate those factors contributing to the prevalence of unplanned pregnancy and based on best available evidence formulate an appropriate response that addresses these issues in the general practice setting
- Develop a systematic and evidence based approach to contraceptive counselling and counselling for unplanned pregnancy and sexual problems
- Critically appraise the evidence concerning hormone replacement therapy and screening for cervical, breast and ovarian cancer
- Evaluate the health outcomes of violence against women and formulate appropriate responses in the general practice setting based on best available practice evidence.
- Clinical decision task (case study 2,000 words) (25%)
- Clinical research tasks (amounting to a total of 6,000 words) (50%) (hurdle)
- Clinical research task (audit of current practice in one of the areas of contraception, screening or menopause (2,000 words) (25%)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Available to postgraduate students only.