12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Flexible)
The theoretical aspects of IVF, embryo production and cryopreservation will be covered in the previous unit reinforced by extensive practical training The theoretical knowledge gained in slow cooling and vitrification techniques will also enhanced by practical training. Students will freeze, thaw and analyse sperm samples, oocytes and embryos Students will gain a better understanding of media components by making and designing their own media. This unit enables students to develop and enhance their embryo handling skills.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- have a broad theoretical knowledge about the components of culture systems competently demonstrate skills in preparing media suites for in vitro culture of embryos
- show competence in handling mouse oocytes and embryos and be able to perform mouse IVF using epididymal sperm
- develop practical skills in the techniques of oocyte maturation, sperm preparation by gradient and swim up, and insemination and IVF using frozen thawed ejaculated sperm using ovine gametes Be able to demonstrate practical competence in the techniques of vitrification and slow cooling of embryos and gametes and to plan experiments to compare different freezing methods
- have the skills to critically analyse research papers in cryopreservation related to human reproduction.
Practical exams on:
- Embryo handling (20%)
- IVF (20%)
- Vitrification (30%)
- Research plan (20%)
- Lab book / Lab etiquette (10%)
30 hours contact per week (research,tutorials, self-directed study, practical skill training.
See also Unit timetable information