6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Postgraduate programs are based on a model of small group teaching and therefore class sizes need to be restricted.
Not offered in 2017
For postgraduate Law discontinuation dates, please see http://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/postgraduate/pg-jd-discontinuation-dates
For postgraduate Law unit timetables, please see http://law.monash.edu.au/current-students/course-unit-information/timetables/postgraduate/index.html
Previously coded as LAW7420
The unit is an elective for students in the Graduate Diploma in Local Government Law. This unit will provide students with an in-depth knowledge in an expanding and specialist area of the law. It will provide students interested in environmental law with the essential theoretical and practical understanding of key environmental law issues, concepts and principles. The focus is on the law and policy that has been applied to deal with environmental problems in the Australian domestic context.
A student who completes this unit should:
- have a good understanding of the international context of environmental law, particularly in relation to environmental law conventions and other international instruments
- have an understanding of the relationship between international environmental law and domestic environmental law
- have a knowledge of the basic principles of environmental law
- be aware of how environmental law has been applied to deal with particular environmental issues
- have a good understanding of the framework of laws for environmental planning, development control, environmental impact assessment, heritage conservation and pollution regulation
- have an understanding of the workings of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and additional means of environmental dispute resolution
- be able to make an assessment of where environmental law can be expected to develop in the future.
Assignment (3,750 words): 50%
Take-home examination (3,750 words): 50%
24 contact hours per semester (either intensive, semi-intensive or semester long, depending on the Faculty resources, timetabling and requirements)
Dr Yet Bryant Personal ProfilePersonal Profile (http://www.law.monash.edu.au/staff/postgraduate/sess-yet-bryant.html)