6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Postgraduate programs are based on a model of small group teaching and therefore class sizes need to be restricted.
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
For postgraduate Law discontinuation dates, please see http://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/postgraduate/pg-jd-discontinuation-dates
For postgraduate Law unit timetables, please see http://law.monash.edu.au/current-students/course-unit-information/timetables/postgraduate/index.html
Previously coded as LAW7076
The unit provides a comprehensive and critical examination of current issues relating to laws which affect public information in the possession of, or generated by, the federal and Victorian governments (including statutory authorities and municipalities). Its key focus is on freedom of information and privacy laws.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- apply knowledge and understanding of the laws which regulate access to Australian government information with creativity and initiative to new situations in professional practice and/or for further learning;
- investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories in relation to the diverse laws which regulate or affect public access to Australian government information;
- conduct research in government information law based on knowledge of appropriate research principle and methods; and
- use cognitive, technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate at an abstract level complex ideas and concepts relevant to the diverse laws which regulate or affect public access to Australian government information.
Research assignment (5,250 words): 70%:
Take-home examination (2,250 words): 30%
24 contact hours per semester (either intensive, semi-intensive or semester long, depending on the Faculty resources, timetabling and requirements). Students will be expected to do reading set for class, and to undertake additional research and reading applicable to a 6 credit point unit.
Assoc Professor Moira Paterson Research ProfileResearch Profile (http://monash.edu/research/explore/en/persons/moira-paterson(6a245166-ff8d-409d-a6ab-c6069a9dd7f5).html)