6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Contract law addresses the concepts, principles and rules used to determine the existence and content of binding promises and their enforcement or defeasibility in a market economy. It also involves a consideration of the underlying policy considerations. Contract law is taught in two units: Contract A and Contract B. Contract A covers the introduction to contract law, the formation of contracts (including capacity and formalities), privity of contract, estoppel, and the incorporation, construction and validity of contractual terms.
At the successful completion of this Unit students will be able to:
- Identify and articulate legal issues that arise in scenarios involving contracts, including formation, privity, estoppel and contractual terms
- Select and use appropriate research tools and reasoning methods to synthesise and evaluate relevant legal and factual issues
- Interpret, evaluate and apply principles of contract law with awareness of broader social, economic, international and policy contexts
- Engage in critical analysis and exercise professional judgement in make reasoned choices among alternative interpretations and actions
- Apply legal reasoning and research to formulate appropriate responses to legal issues
- Collaborate and communicate effectively and persuasively
- Learn and work with autonomy, accountability and professionalism
- Collaborative assignment (20%)
- Final exam, 2 hours plus 30 mins reading and noting time (80%)
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
For students enrolled in the LLB (Hons) course from 2015: LAW1111; LAW1113 and LAW1114
For students who commenced their LLB course prior to 2015: LAW1100 or LAW1101 and LAW1102 or LAW1104
For students who commenced their LLB course prior to 2015: LAW2100