18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is the second of the major project sequence. Students are expected to continue with research initiated in IDE4117, and develop a time frame which details prototype construction in consultation with a supervisor and course coordinator. Project must have appropriate aspects to serve as a vehicle to demonstrate the student's professional understanding and capabilities as well as appropriate complexity to enable the student to professionally undertake and present it within time and resource limitations of the unit. Documentation must be completed to a professional standard. Regular group and individual critiques are undertaken as the project and the thinking underlying it develop.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be able to develop and refine their industrial design project from the conceptual stage undertaken in IDE4107 Major Project (Industrial Design) Part One through to a prototype presentation, demonstrating a high level of capability
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the discipline and its professional practices, with particular reference to the social, cultural and aesthetic aspects of their investigation
- have a high level of knowledge of the contemporary discourse in design and industrial design and to be able to position their work relative to it
- be able to debate and/or defend their practice in an informed critical appraisal
- cultivate high ambitions to perfect their practice of industrial design
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Mid-semester portfolio: 20% + Final portfolio: 80%
8 studio hours and 28 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information