6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
Application of building products, systems and technologies. The Standards Australia codes for major materials and processes. Building Code of Australia and other regulatory controls, with reference to structural aspects of construction, fire issues and health and hygiene issues. Issues of durability, movement and moisture control. Application and performance of principal construction materials. Cost parameters, quantity surveying methods and project management. Dimensional co-ordination and principles of tolerances. Proprietary building systems and fittings relevant to interiors
On successful completion of this unit, students should:
- be familiar with the Building Code of Australia at a basic level
- have knowledge of the performance of major materials and the methods of applying them, used in the construction of interiors
- understand the basics of quantity surveying methods and simple cost estimation
- be capable of applying the above in an interior design project with construction documentation and specifications
- understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Examination: 40%. Project assignment: 60%
12 hours per week, including; 4 hours in class and 8 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information