6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit uses the framework of human development to examine health throughout the lifespan. Physical, cognitive, emotional, behavioural and psychosocial development, and the impact of culture on health will be examined. Students will investigate the roles of allied health professionals in assessing and maintaining health across the lifespan.
On successful completion of this unit students will:
- Describe physical, psychological and social milestones of human development throughout the lifespan, applying contemporary theories of development.
- Examine common acute and chronic health issues that occur across the lifespan.
- Identify the social and cultural determinants that impact upon human development.
- Identify essential activities and information regarding health promotion to meet the needs of individuals across the lifespan.
- Summarise theoretical perspectives on grieving and loss.
- Communicate effectively with individuals across the lifespan within an appropriate developmental framework.
- Group Presentation (20 minutes) (15%)
- Multiple Choice Test - Mid-Semester (1 hr) (10%)
- Written Assignment (2,000 words) (25%)
- Examination (2 hours) (50%) (Hurdle)
80% attendance at tutorials
80% participation in weekly online tasks
1 hour lecture, 2 hour tutorial, 3 hours of directed online student learning activities, plus 6 hours of self-directed study per week.
See also Unit timetable information