6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 2 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit takes a practical approach to providing participants with the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in clinical teaching. Participants will explore the theories and principles underpinning effective teaching and learning in the clinical environment. They will be expected to reflect on their own experiences as teachers and learners, and to draw on literature of their own and other professional groups.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the notion of effectiveness in the clinical teaching environment, identifying the knowledge, skills, attributes, roles and responsibilities of effective clinical teachers;
- Demonstrate effective design, planning, preparation and delivery of clinically focussed teaching activities, including effective communication and feedback with students and colleagues;
- Apply a model of psychomotor skill development in healthcare teaching and learning environments;
- Identify and evaluate the factors that influence learner performance, and apply a structured framework to develop strategies to manage performance issues in learners;
- Describe the impact of cultural diversity on clinical teaching and learning experiences in the health professions, and propose strategies to manage this impact in the clinical learning environment.
- Teaching practical (10 minutes) (20%)
- Critical incident essay (2,500 words) (35%)
- Analytical paper (3,000 words) (45%) (Hurdle) (You must receive 45% or more for this assessment to pass the unit as per faculty policy).
Three days teacher directed learning (study days) and up to 10 hours/week self-directed learning.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
It is expected students attend all study days. There are sessions related to assessment that are compulsory, refer to unit guide.