6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit focuses on the production of a major body of photomedia work, demonstrating a critical and topical engagement within a contemporary art and design context. The unit will enable students to bring their creative practice to a substantial level of competency with skills in both the technical and aesthetic aspects of photomedia, with emphasis on refining their personal visual language. As a major part of the unit is proposal-based, students will negotiate a theme of personal interest in the field of contemporary photomedia with an understanding of the implications of media choice and presentation.
On successful completion of this unit students will:
- have an advanced practical and critical understanding of Photomedia;
- understand and be able to apply Photomedia processes, techniques and images to a major body of work
- be able to produce a major body of work which demonstrates advanced technique integrally linked with ambitious ideas
- have carried out a negotiated project on a theme of personal interest which results in a folio of images, or other forms of presentation as appropriate, with supporting documentation in a journal
- have considered how their work is placed in the context of current practice
- understand the implications of media choice and presentation
- be able to articulate their practice with clarity and insight
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Folio: 90% (which includes progressive assessment); Journal: 10%
12 hours per week including, 4 taught hours and 8 independent study hours.
See also Unit timetable information