6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides the opportunity for high-achieving students to undertake an individual research project in Genetics with an academic supervisor. It includes a critical literature review, experimental design and data analysis. The student must maintain regular contact with supervisor(s) and subject coordinator.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Comprehend the fundamental process and requirements of scientific research;
- Review and critically evaluate the scientific literature within a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate skills in experimental design, data collection and statistical analysis;
- Interpret experimental results, and place the results in the broader context of the research discipline;
- Communicate scientific findings and their implications, via oral presentations and written reports.
Oral presentation: 10% + Poster presentation: 15% + Written reports: 65% + Supervisor's assessment of project planning, conduct and development: 10%
Approximately 12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Students must have their proposed project and supervisor approved by the unit coordinator prior to enrolment. In addition, students must have at least a distinction average across 24 points of second level units, including a minimum of 12 points from BMS2011, BMS2042, GEN2041, GEN2052, MCB2011, MCB2022, MOL2011, or MOL2022.