12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Studio at honours level is research-oriented and non-prescriptive in terms of content. Students produce a proposal at the beginning of the semester but are free to carry out their work with any number of deviations from their original plans. The intentions of students and the results of their work are debated in group discussions and critical sessions.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be keen to perfect their practice in Fine Art with excellence in technique and to perceive a relationship between technical excellence and the visionary aspirations of their discipline
- be able to pursue an area of studio practice with a strong sense of direction and commitment and an equally strong curiosity for the possibility of redirecting their practice
- feel some confidence defending their chosen direction in studio practice against informed challenge and criticism
- be resolved to find the 'logical' extension of their practice, whether through higher degrees of technical refinement or refusal of established aesthetic criteria or critical regimes
- seek to extend their practice with reference to the history of the particular genre in Fine Art which is their specialisation, empowering them not only with the knowledge of authoritative precedents but the practical advantage of technical and iconographic cues
- be keen to relate critically their chosen direction in Fine Art to the terms of contemporary discourse
- find an appropriate balance between intuitive processes underlying their practice and critical reason or analytical thought.
24 hours (lecture, tutorial, individual supervision) per week
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to honours program