6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Information Technology Systems with South East University, China
This unit provides a high level coverage of mobile and distributed computing. It will focus on the underlying concepts and standards of mobile computing and current technologies for mobile and distributed systems. It will discuss cellular networks, wireless networks and their standards and technologies, context-aware computing, location-awareness, wireless sensor networks, internet mobility, web services and service-oriented technology, cloud computing and current research trends and case studies.
At the completion of this unit students will:
- identify and describe different approaches and methods for building distributed and mobile computing systems;
- evaluate several models and approaches and select suitable mobile computing solution to a particular case;
- propose and develop a mobile or distributed system that is appropriate to a problem domain;
- identify the current research directions in the field and their impacts.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
Prerequisite knowledge includes advanced programming skills, sound knowledge of Java, and basic/advanced knowledge of SQL.