6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit looks at the design and implementation issues of database management systems. Advanced database design using multi-dimensional database design and semi-structured database design are explored. Online analytical query language will be explored in the context of multi-dimensional database design. Query optimisation and tuning will be explored, as well as semi-structure database design and query processing.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- design multi-dimensional databases;
- use fact and dimensional modelling;
- implement online analytical query language;
- explain query optimisation and its impact on multi-dimensional design.
Examination (2 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Study schedule for off-campus students:
- Off-campus students generally do not attend lecture and tutorial sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through the relevant resources and participating in discussion groups each week.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
(FIT9132 or FIT5132 or FIT9003 or FIT9019) or equivalent
Knowledge of relational database principles, including SQL.