6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
In-depth coverage of the protocols used to operate the Internet and intranets, and a selection of major applications, including specific implementations of the protocols and systems. The topics include: Advanced Internet Addressing: IPv6, subnetting, supernetting. TCP Performance and Enhancements: Reno, New-Reno, Fast Retransmit and Recovery, etc. Unicast and multicast routing protocols: BGP4, OSPF, MOSPF, DVMRP, etc. Messaging systems: SMTP, MIME, POP3, IMAP, World Wide Web systems: client-server implementations, HTTP, Real Time Protocols: RTP, RTCP, RSVP. Security and Firewall. Quality of Service issues: DiffServ and IntServ. Network management and Remote File activities.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify the appropriate Internet protocols for a given application development;
- design client-server applications using the TCP/IP protocols;
- configure and performance tuning of Internet communications;
- investigate and analyse the current technology, systems and software relevant to networks in an organisataion;
- setup corporate networks and manage their network services; and
- upgrade and install new network services.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour tutorial
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
(FIT9135 or FIT5135 or FIT9020) or equivalent