6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit will develop students capabilities to undertake research in the information systems field. Students will learn various research methods and study published research papers in which these research methods have been used. In particular, students will learn to evaluate how well the research methods have been used in published research papers. Students will also develop an understanding of some of the exciting, leading-edge research in the information systems field. This understanding may enable students to identify research topics that they would like to pursue, perhaps in an honours, masters, or PhD thesis.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- undertake research in the information systems field;
- explain various research methods used in the information systems field;
- evaluate how well research methods have been used in published research papers.
Examination (2 hours): 40%; In-semester assessment: 60%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One 3-hour seminar
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 9 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information