6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit provides practical experience in researching, designing, developing and testing a non-trivial data science project. Projects involve whole or part of the data science process (visualisation, analysis, algorithms, etc.) but can also be software-based, or they may involve investigation of theory. Projects if software-based should cover analysis through design to implementation and testing. Comprehensive written documentation on the project is required. Students are assigned in groups to a project supervisor. There are no lectures in this unit, although students will be expected to attend regular meetings with their project supervisor. The unit is the second part of a 12-credit point project sequence; the first part and entry point for the project is FIT3163.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- evaluate and select research methods and techniques of data preparation and analysis appropriate to a particular project;
- search, access, and analyse research literature as part of the process of developing solutions to problems;
- work effectively in collaborative teams;
- develop and test a substantial piece of software or perform a substantial analysis of data using software;
- explain and reflect upon the purpose, operation, success and value of the developed project in writing and orally;
- write a report explaining methodology, outlining their contributions and the contributions of others, and documenting the developed project from appropriate perspectives, for instance that of a user, researcher or developer.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One 1-hour project meeting
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 11 hours of personal study in order to complete the research and implementation of the project.
See also Unit timetable information