6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
Advanced visual effects builds upon the skills learnt in Creative computing foundations, Creative computing studio 1 and Foundations of 3D, developing an understanding of the multimedia development process, tools and techniques as applied to advanced time based media manipulation in multimedia content production. It introduces students to a range of techniques by which video can be manipulated and enhanced after the original material has been recorded by combining it with 2D and 3D CGI elements.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- use sound and video recording hardware and software to create a video based product that incorporates digital compositing and manipulation of live action and visual effects;
- implement workflows that seamlessly integrate multiple media elements in a project;
- create digital content that incorporates motion tracking and match moving techniques;
- design and develop virtual environments that incorporate digital texturing and lighting.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One hour lecture/seminar
- Three hours tutorial/laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of lecture time in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information