6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The unit introduces students to systems analysis and design as a problem solving activity, within the framework of a selected methodology. It will focus on contemporary industry practice; investigating understanding and documenting system requirements; a range of design and implementation activities; and professional skills required for systems development.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe and analyse a range of system development methodologies and be able to assess when to use a particular approach;
- describe key activities required for systems development;
- apply problem solving techniques at different levels of abstraction;
- select suitable techniques and methods to conduct analysis, design and implementation activities;
- apply analysis and design techniques to a practical system development problem within a contemporary development methodology framework;
- demonstrate an understanding of the professional skills required for effective systems development practice.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- One 1-hour meeting
- Study schedule for off-campus students:
- Off-campus students generally do not attend lecture and tutorial sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through the relevant resources and participating in discussion groups each week.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 7 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
24 points of FIT units
BUS2021, CPE2003, CSE1204, CSE1205, GCO1813, GCO2601, GCO2852, GCO2826, IMS1001, IMS1002, IMS1805, IMS2071, IMS9001