6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- First semester 2017 (Off-campus)
- Second semester 2017 (Off-campus)
This unit involves the study of basic probability and calculus-based methods of underpinning probability distributions and parameter estimation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the meaning and laws of probability.
- Recognise common probability distributions and their properties.
- Apply calculus-based tools to derive key features of a probability distribution, such as mean and variance.
- Manipulate multivariate probability distributions to obtain marginal and conditional distributions.
- Obtain mean, variance and the probability distribution of transformations of random variables.
- Understand properties of parameter estimators and the usefulness of large sample approximations in statistics.
- Appreciate the role of simulation in demonstrating and explaining statistical concepts.
Written assignments (100%)
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters of Biostatistics.