6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Existing and emerging green technologies that assist in assessing, minimising and remediating the environmental impacts of people on the environment will be considered. The technologies covered will include water, soil and air quality maintenance, waste management, resource recovery, soil and water treatment and remediation and the carbon footprint of energy sources. Students will become familiar with their strengths and limitations. A first-hand experience of technological approaches to impact management, through field site visits where particular technologies are in use, is a feature of the course. Aspects of the economic and legislative issues related to the management of the environment and the use of technologies will also be covered.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Discuss the impacts of human activity on the environment;
- Describe the role played by different technologies in the broad area of environmental management;
- Critique the range of technologies and emerging green technologies, available for managing the state of the environment and human impacts on it and for minimising and remediating those impacts;
- Evaluate the operating principles, applications, strengths and shortcomings of key technologies in surface water, groundwater, soil and air, quality management.
Examination (2 hours): 60% + Individual research project (1500 words): 15% + Reports on site visits (500 words each, up to six reports): 25%
Two hours of lectures and the equivalent of two hours of tutorial/group discussion per week, which will include site visits.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS3546 except for students enrolled in the Bachelor of Environmental Engineering and Bachelor of Science double degree who are exempt from this rule, or by special permission from the unit coordinator.