6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit, taken in addition to ENG4001, is an extension of a special study in a field of engineering with a content negotiated and agreed between a student and the faculty. The unit is offered as a vehicle to enable an excellent student to undertake studies that would otherwise not fit within the scope of a standard fourth level. Where necessary, a safety audit and/or risk assessment will be conducted prior to the commencement of work. The student will be expected to prepare a proposal for the study and an analysis of any special requirements to ensure that the scope and expected outcomes of the study are manageable and agreed between the student and the supervisor.
- An understanding of the special area of study addressed
- An understanding of, and respect for, safety requirements.
- The ability to undertake self-directed study involving the gathering and application of information from a variety of sources and, where such information is not readily available, to design and perform tests to establish it
- The ability to make critical choices between approaches, methods and designs before committing to any one of them
- The skill to plan a self-directed study and allocate time successfully throughout the duration of the study
- The ability to make effective oral presentations and to write well structured and well documented reports.
As agreed between the student and the supervisor; may include an initial safety audit/risk assessment, progress reports and a final written report and oral presentation.
12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information