6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is designed to build upon the earlier units in the Bachelor of Civil and Environmental Engineering Program to enhance students' professional capabilities in design as expected of a graduate civil/environmental engineer. Students are expected to apply the knowledge and experience gained in the various sub-discipline areas of civil and environmental engineering units to a specific project. This unit will also help develop a range of more generic skills including teamwork and communication. Students will work in small groups to plan and develop designs relevant to the various sub-disciplinary areas of the course. Designs will typically involve analysis, calculations and preparation of engineering drawings plus communication of the process via written and oral reports.
At the completion of this unit, students are expected to be able to:
- Design a civil/environmental engineering project;
- Generate practical designs in the sub-disciplines of structural, geotechnical, transport, water and environmental engineering;
- Produce design calculations and drawings to the requirements of the profession and Australian standards;
- Appreciate and be responsive to client requirements in a project environment;
- Function effectively as a team member to achieve specified objectives within time and resource constraints;
- Apply analysis and design knowledge gained over previous years in the course; and
- Communicate effectively with specialists and non-specialists by way of written and oral reports and drawings.
Written and oral project submission and interview: 100%
See also Unit timetable information