12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Flexible)
This unit promotes self- and other-awareness and positions emotional preparedness as foundational to leadership. A variety of paradigms for developing self- and other-awareness are introduced to empower developing leaders to begin their personal inner growth trajectory. Instruments and practices, learning styles and personality profile instruments are used, along with a rigorous reflective practice regimen, to help students develop a personal development plan. Students engage with other aspiring and practising leaders in a process of personal and professional growth through collaborative reflection to become aware of their cognitive and emotional meaning-making. This knowledge is used to understand how to lead and engage others in ways that produce robust, sustainable organisations.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand and critically evaluate theoretical paradigms of leadership development
- apply theoretical concepts and instruments to identify personal strengths of leaders
- engage in meaningful reflective practice about personal leadership
- articulate and plan personal leadership growth and development
- identify relationships between individual leadership and organisational sustainability
- distinguish and apply reflective and scholarly approaches to cognitive and emotional meaning-making and evaluation.
Reflective essay (4000 words, 50%)
Critical analytical essay (4000 words, 50%)
Flexible mode offers a stand-alone online offering that allows students to learn and engage in content and assessment in a supported way. It also provides a face-to-face component over the semester to engage students with the online learning content, which students can attend if they are able and interested.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 12 contact hours and 24 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester or
- 36 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester
- Requirements for offshore Kaplan-based students:
- one intensive block (usually from Thursday to Sunday)
- at least 14 hours of online study per term
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Option for Master of Education in:
General education studies
Recommended for Master of Leadership in:
Option for Master of Leadership in:
Elective for Honours research in:
Elective for Master of International Development Practice in:
Crisis, change and management