6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit extends students' counselling practice through a focus on elements of professionalism: evidence-based practice, advanced intervention, assessment and reporting skills and reflective practice. The unit examines applied and academic research and evaluation in relation to mental health and counselling, and evaluates the quality and approaches of research evidence. Students consolidate their skills in case formulation, and documenting evidence-based interventions using appropriate assessment tools and instruments. Through ongoing professional practice, students take up opportunities for self-reflection of their own professional development as counsellors.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills of professional counselling practice
- evaluate research-based evidence according to quality indicators
- demonstrate advanced intervention planning to address clients' needs
- extend familiarity with a variety of assessment instruments and tools and implement these in practice
- demonstrate skills in case formulation and reporting, and maintaining clear case-notes which convey a depth of professional knowledge
- recognise the need for appropriate specialist and agency referrals and engagement with local human services
- reflect on the legal, ethical and professional principles and practices relevant to counselling.
96 hours of face to face client contact; 156 non-contact hours
Evidence-based review of a counselling issue (2000 words, 50%)
Case report (2000 words, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Equivalent to 36 hours of engagement in online, face-to-face or blended platforms
- Additional requirements (all students):
- Independent study to make up the required minimum hours during the semester.
See also Unit timetable information