12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This is a unit of research study, focusing on a particular theory or issue in the field of education, undertaken with guidance and support from the supervisor. Students are expected to demonstrate initiative and independence during their research study. All honours students are required to present their research proposal at a research seminar. The honours thesis is designed for students who are intending to undertake further higher degree studies. Graduates who have successfully completed the honours thesis (both part 1 and part 2) are able to use this 16,000-word study as evidence of independent research experience in an application for entry into the doctorate program.
Upon successful completion of this unit (and EDF5151) students should be able to:
- produce a thesis that displays competence at understanding and carrying out research in the field of education, but with less emphasis on comprehensive knowledge and originality as required in a PhD or EdD
- devise a research topic to investigate that is feasible within the two-unit time frame
- identify key research questions that are not too general and ambitious
- select and review relevant theory and literature
- design a study and choose appropriate methods to investigate research questions
- select appropriate modes of analysis
- consider ethical issues involved in research
- implement, critically appraise or apply research in a particular field
- prepare a comprehensive written report that is professionally presented and contains all the required components including a bibliography at the end.
A 16,000-word dissertation is the formal assessment task for this unit (together with EDF5151).
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
Enrolment in EDF5152 will usually occur when students have successfully completed EDF5151.