3 points, SCA Band 1, 0.0625 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
In this unit, students are encouraged to reflect on their learning experiences in the secondary school context, with a focus on developing their professional knowledge, practice and engagement in line with expected professional standards. This includes knowledge of and demonstration of a professional code of ethics in their relations with students, colleagues, family members and the community. During and after the practicum, students think about their professional learning and discuss their progressive development with their peers, school supervisors and university mentor in either face-to-face or online forums. They develop a practicum folder to document their reflections and form a record of their developing ability to reach the standards expected of graduating teachers.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop and reflect on strategies that demonstrate empathy, positive regard for, and rapport with students
- regard all students as capable of learning and demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to equity in their practice
- identify the prior knowledge, the learning strengths and weaknesses of students and other factors which impact on learning
- develop and reflect on strategies that acknowledge and cater for diverse cultural, religious and socio-economic factors influencing students.
EDF4730 and EDF4731 together require 25 days of placement.
This unit is graded pass grade only (PGO).
Satisfactory completion of supervised practicum program of between 10 and 15 days, to a combined total of up to 25 days for EDF4730 and EDF4731
Practicum experience portfolio part 1B (equivalent to 1000 words)
Students are expected to participate in introductory sessions, practicum and debriefing sessions either through face-to-face or online forums.
See also Unit timetable information