6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces students to a range of intervention models/theories used in counselling psychology and the assumptions on which they are based. Students examine the theoretical bases of two approaches in depth.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- describe the origins of, and relevant current developments in, counselling psychology
- develop the effective use of basic counselling skills
- describe relevant major psychotherapies
- understand the issues concerning efficacy and effectiveness of psychotherapies.
Theoretical essay (2000 words, 50%)
Class presentation (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements
- 10 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information
Successful completion of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited major sequence in psychology