6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit explores concepts of health and health education contextualised within organisations (e.g. schools, hospitals or corporations) and community (welfare, policing, employment) settings. It examines past, present and future directions of health education and promotion, approaches to drug and sexuality education and resources available to health education.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of current and major issues in the field of health education
- utilise critical and reflective thinking skills in the analysis of health issues via reading, research and investigation
- review the impact of health initiatives and interventions, for example, the 'Health Promoting School' policy in the education context
- understand principles of health and wellness on a personal and community level.
Assignment (2000 words, 50%)
Essay (2000 words, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 24 contact hours per semester
- Additional requirements
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information