6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
In this unit students independently select a topic related to previous studies and/or professional aspirations in the study of sport, outdoor recreation, experiential education and social ecology. Through lectures, workshops and guidance from various staff members, students propose a topic and complete a systematic search and critical review of the literature. The literature review clarifies the purposes and rationale of a potential research project or thesis, synthesises existing scholarship and offers an appropriate conclusion.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- conduct research planning skills in searching the literature
- systematically analyse, assess and annotate scholarly work differentiating between evidence and speculation
- critically analyse research
- clarify researchable problems or issues
- critically synthesise a wide array of information into a scholarly review of the literature
- demonstrate expert knowledge of a select topic relevant to their professional aspirations.
Research problem and proposal statement (1600 words, 40%)
Critical review of literature (2400 words, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 24 contact hours per semester
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the required minimum hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
EDF2606 or EDF2620
EDF3605 or EDF2612